New Battle.net Features for Warcraft III
12:39 PM | Sean Smith | Comment on this story
Blizzard Entertainment has posted a web page detailing many of the new features planned for their online gaming service, Battle.net, when used with their upcoming real-time strategy game, Warcraft III.
Here are just a few of the features mentioned:
Anonymous MatchmakingFor the full details, head over to Blizzard's Warcraft III features page at the link below.
- Players are anonymously matched based on skill level.
- The AMM randomly selects maps based on the players' preferences.
- Players can choose which race to play, or they can let the service choose for them.
- Players can also select the game type, which indicates the number of allies and opponents.
- The top-ranked players from each gateway will be listed on our Web site.
- Players can team up with friends, and team records are tracked.
- Arranged team games count toward the ladder.
- Team members are automatically allied and set to allied chat.
New Ladder System
- The AMM prevents win trading and ensures that high-level players face opponents of similar skill.
- Ladder-play prerequisites have been eliminated (everyone who uses the AMM earns a ladder rank).
- Top-ranked players can compete in seasonal tournaments to determine who really is the best of the best.
- Play with or against computer players.
- Play on the map of your choice, including user-made custom maps.
- Anyone that you permit can join, so you can play against opponents of your choice.
- Allow/restrict observers, toggle fog of war on/off, adjust game speed, and adjust diplomacy settings.
New Built-in Friends System
- Players can easily join a friend's channel or a game ready to start.
- Players are notified when a friend enters or leaves Battle.net (this notice even appears in-game).
Advanced Battle.net Icon System
- Play your favorite race often to earn better icons, and earn upgraded icons by gaining more wins.
- Icons reflect the race you play most, your ladder rank, and if applicable, your clan affiliation.
IMG Preview: WarCraft III
IMG Preview: WarCraft III Multiplayer Beta
Blizzard: WarCraft III Features
WarCraft III (add to watch list)
Buy WarCraft III
Recent Mac Games News
Tuesday, March 19, 2002
Monday, March 18, 2002
Friday, March 15, 2002
Thursday, March 14, 2002
Wednesday, March 13, 2002
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.