City Of Heroes Coming To Intel Macs This Year
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 20 comments
NCsoft has announced a partnership with TransGaming to bring their award-winning City of Heroes MMO franchise to the Apple Macintosh. The Mac version will be available for public beta testing with the release of the game’s thirteenth expansion, Issue 13: Power and Responsibility later this fall. The official launch will occur pre-holiday this year with a special digital-only Mac edition of City of Heroes, available across all NCsoft West consumer territories.
“Players will soon be able to join the battle of good versus evil in the most popular comic book MMO on both the PC and Mac platforms…and in the same game world,” commented Brian Clayton, executive producer of City of Heroes for NCsoft West. “Given Mac’s fame as a platform for creative people and City of Heroes’ unprecedented character customization options, I think City of Heroes is a perfect fit for the Mac gaming community.” The City of Heroes Mac Special Edition digital product will be sold at the PlayNC store and at Gametree Online City of Heroes is rated "T" for Teen. For more information about City of Heroes go to the site below.
City of Heroes (add to watch list)
In City of Heroes, the most popular comic book inspired MMO on the market, players craft their hero or villain identities and join millions of other player created characters in a constantly expanding universe. Unparalleled character customization is a hallmark of the City of Heroes franchise. Players can choose from hundreds of different powers and thousands of costume options, resulting in near limitless personalization. Players may go it alone or band together with others in super groups.
City of Heroes for Mac was made possible using TransGaming's Cider TM Portability Engine, which acts as a "wrapper" around the game software, enabling it to run seamlessly on Intel-based Macs. The partnership with NCsoft to develop and publish City of Heroes for Mac offers the Mac gaming community its first opportunity to do battle in the streets of Paragon City ™and the Rogue Isles ™in a persistent universe with no differentiation between the PC and Mac. “NCsoft’s City of Heroes MMO is an incredible franchise and TransGaming is thrilled to provide Mac gamers the ability to demonstrate their creativity by building their own heroes and villains and immersing themselves in the battle between good and evil,” commented Vikas Gupta, CEO & president of TransGaming. “Through Cider, the Mac version will parallel the developments of the PC version, providing all game updates, new features, and storylines simultaneously on both platforms.”
City Of Heroes
TransGaming (add to watch list)
NCsoft (add to watch list)
Buy City of Heroes
Pirates Of The Caribbean Online Halloween Event Begins
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 1 comment
Disney Online, in celebration of the one-year anniversary of Pirates of the Caribbean Online, is bringing mayhem to the Caribbean with a haunting in-game event and contest on “All Hollows Eve.” Jolly Roger has cast a wicked curse on the populace of the Caribbean to stir up an "epic in-game event". Starting today, the Pirates of the Caribbean Online world will permanently turn to night, and when the moon is at its fullest, any Pirate who doesn’t take cover will become cursed and turn into an undead skeleton. The cursed Pirates will be forced to attack the towns, and one another.
In addition, a special anniversary contest will be held for all Basic Players and Unlimited Access members. The contest asks players to submit a short video documenting how much they love Pirates Online and demonstrating how they “Live the Pirates Life.” The contest will run through December 19, and the finalists’ videos will be posted on the Pirates Online website. The grand prize is a chance to meet the Pirates Online crew and lead developer for a one-on-one Q&A and a lunch at Walt Disney Studios to see where the films are made. The winner will also receive a three-day trip to Disneyland and two nights stay at the Disneyland Hotel, with one night in the Pirates of the Caribbean Suite. A $100 shopping spree in the Pieces of Eight shop, MacBook and iPod Nano are also part of the loot.
“It’s been a great year for Pirates Online, thanks in large part to our active, growing community,” said Steve Parkis, senior vice president, Disney Online. “The feedback from our fans continues to inspire the Pirates team to create and deliver exciting new content and features that add to the authentic, rich and engaging world.” To learn more about the anniversary events head over to the links below.
Disney Online (add to watch list)
Over the past year, a myriad of new features have been added to the game that expand the world and the overall game experience, including:
· Privateering (Player vs. Player Ship Combat) - In the quest to become a Privateer, players chose a side – French or Spanish –and assemble a crew for Pirate vs. Pirate ship combat on the high seas. Pirate "Lords" on both sides challenge players with quests to prove their worth. Completing these tasks earns gold and reputation points and a tattoo that will brand survivors as Privateering veterans.
· New Customization Options - Adding to the millions of possible player combinations available at launch – gender, body type, face, hair, clothing and names – several new customizations options have been added including tattoos, jewelry, additional clothing items (new pants, hats, coats and coats inspired by members of the Brethren Court), and new hairstyles.
· Shops - Tattoo parlors, jewelry stores, and tailor shops have been added to the game.
· Enhanced Lookout System - An in-game system was added to match players up with others looking to engage in the same activity. Players can now instantly see their percentage of finding a match (high, medium, or low) to help determine how long it will take before a match is found. Players can also now get more closely matched with other players that are at the same notoriety level as themselves.
· Emotes - With the addition of emotes, players can communicate with others through actions such as dancing, laughing, clapping, celebrating, crying, flexing, waving, and more.
· New Quests & Enhanced Quest Tracking System - A number of new quests for Unlimited Access Pirates have been added, including Pirate’s Life Quest, Clothing for a Pirate Quest, and Adoria’s Family. Each outfit is available for Pirates of varying Notoriety levels. In addition, enhancements to the Quest Tracking System were made so that when players are in the “return to townsperson” stage of completing a Quest, they simply follow the ray of light and the yellow arrow at their feet to return to their townsperson.
· Ghost Ships - Nightmarish forces of evil and danger, players must keep their eyes out for these ill-fated vessels that are sure to challenge skills and nerves. The undead sailors are doomed to skulk around the waters of Isla Cangrejos and Cutthroat Island in their ominous ships – Shadow Crow, Cerberus, and Blood Scourge.
· “Looking for Crew” Feature - Allows players to tell other Pirates that they are interested in crewing up by placing a “Looking for Crew” message above their avatar’s head.
· New Weapons – New level four and five weapons have been added, including different types and styles of voodoo dolls, daggers, voodoo staffs and pistols, which deliver more damage, faster reload rates and special effects.
Pirates of the Caribbean Online (add to watch list)
Pony World Deluxe Released
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 12 comments
Anawiki Games has announced the immediate availability of Pony World Deluxe. The game allows players to create and control their own pony and decide whether it leads a peaceful life with family or chooses to devote itself to working, farming or having fun.
"We wanted to create a game that would give a lot of freedom to players - the feeling of a sandbox game without its downsides," said Roman Budzowski, CEO of Anawiki Games, "so the player has a task to fulfil but still has the freedom of a sandbox game." System Requirements:
Play minigames and win trophies in the beauty contest, the races or the memory game. Earn money to extend and decorate your farm. Plant trees, flowers and bushes or build fountains, umbrellas and much more! Develop your farm for profitable agriculture. Go to the disco or theater, launch fireworks or play hopscotch. The sheer variety of Pony World will keep you entertained for hours!
Pony World Deluxe features heartwarming music and graphics and the freedom to play however you wish - no time limits, no restrictions. A host of items, buildings, locations to explore and activities to try will ensure hours of fun.
* Create, style and control your own ponies
* Decorate your farm with plants, rocks, fountains and more
* Send your ponies to work, or develop your farm for agriculture
* Take your ponies to the disco, theater, park and more
* Earn cash in the memory, beauty contest and racing minigames
* Take on scenarios, or just have fun
* 1.2Ghz CPU Pony World Deluxe can be purchased from the Anawiki web site for $19.99 (USD). A free 60 minute demo for Macintosh is available for download.
Pony World Deluxe
* 512Mb RAM
* Mac: OS X 10.3.9+ PowerPC/Intel
StarCraft II: Making The Game Accessible To Casual Players
6:00 AM | Cord Kruse | 4 comments
MTV Multiplayer has posted a new interview with Blizzard Entertainment's Chris Sigaty, lead producer for the upcoming StarCraft II. This time MTV focuses on Sigaty's comments about the difficulty level first time players face when playing an RTS like StarCraft. In addition to pleasing hardcore real time strategy fans Blizzard is hoping to make the game accessible to casual players.
“It’s definitely a very challenging tight rope walk,” he said of trying to make the game for both e-sports players and a broader audience. “We’ve trying to make sure that it’s perfectly balanced for e-sport, but look — I’m going to try to get my mom to play this game. I mean, I know she can’t [micromanage] at the level that these pro gamers can, so we’re actually experimenting back in the opposite direction… so that even the layman can come in and get a grasp of these cool things in the game.”Read the full article by following the link provided below.
MTV Multiplayer: StarCraft II To Be Mom Friendly
Sigaty explained that “StarCraft II” is in its alpha stage and is being tested by two former pro gamers on staff as well as pros at the conventions. However, his mom hasn’t gotten to try the game yet. But he said, without going into specifics, that they’re trying different things for more casual players.
“[Real-time strategy games] at this level — there’s a lot more there to think about and it gets really frantic really fast, and so it’s definitely off-putting to somebody that’s totally new to video games,” he said. “But we want to make it much easier for people to explore whether it would interest them.”
Blizzard Entertainment (add to watch list)
StarCraft II: Wings Of Liberty (add to watch list)
Buy StarCraft II: Wings Of Liberty
Recent Mac Games News
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Monday, October 27, 2008
Friday, October 24, 2008
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.