Java Quake 2 Released
8:18 AM | Andy Largent | 11 comments
Bytonic Software has released a Java-based version of id Software's hit shooter, Quake 2. Dubbed Jake2, the port runs at full speed on many modern machines, and it is compatible with Mac OS X.
Jake2 is available as a Java "Webstart" application, meaning after downloading a small starter file, Jake2 will take care of downloading and installing the other necessary files. If you don't have the original Quake 2 data files on your machine, it can download those for you as well.
Here are some of the features of Jake2:
For more information, or to start playing Jake2 now, head over to the Bytonic website.
- pure Java port of the Quake2 game engine
- full playable singleplayer mode
- full featured multiplayer client
- multiplayer server
- demo playback and recording
- save/load games
- fullscreen support
- two different OpenGL bindings (jogl and lwjgl)
- OpenAL sound engine for true 3D sound
id Software (add to watch list)
Macgamestore: Black Friday Sale, 5 Percent Coupon
1:06 PM | Tuncer Deniz
Macgamestore.com has new hot deals plus a special 5 percent off coupon to help kick off the busy holiday shopping season. To use the coupon, enter "5off" to your shopping cart. Coupon expires December 1st. Please keep in mind that only one coupon can be used at a time and cannot be combined with other coupons.
Here are the five new hot deals for this week:
• Bejeweled 2 - $14.95 (was $19.95)For more great deals, head over to Macgamestore.com.
• Big Bang Board Games - $19.95 (was $24.95)
• Crusader Kings - $34.95 (was $39.95)
• Gangland - $29.95 (was $39.95)
• Halo: Combat Evolved - $24.95 (was $29.95)
• SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition - $54.95 (was $59.95)
• True Crime: Streets of LA - $39.95 (was $49.95)
• X2: The Threat - $29.95 (was $39.95)
Doom 3 Mod: Last Man Standing Updates
8:18 AM | Cord Kruse | Comment on this story
Platinum Arts recently released some updated information for version 3.0 of their Last Man Standing Coop Mod for Doom 3. One of the more prominent new features will be the integration of the Classic Doom Mod. Other updates and features will include changes to maps to facilitate Coop play and a new tooltip feature.
Here is a list of updates in version 3.0:
* All ROE maps are tweaked and fully ready for Coop play For more information and a handful of screenshots visit the sites listed below.
Doom 3: Last Man Standing Coop Mod
* Tooltip system to help out new players, can be shut off via the menu (hit esc)
* New Help tab in the menu featuring lots of helpful information for new and old players
* Burn is working on a new menu and it looks kickass to say the least!
* Lots of bugfixes
* Lag and timeout tweaks
* New map Prog_Sewer by mercykiller, take a look at the screens! Features some beautiful water.
Last Man Standing 2.0: Mac OS X Installer
Classic Doom Mod
id Software (add to watch list)
Aspyr Media (add to watch list)
DOOM 3 (add to watch list)
Buy DOOM 3
Pro Gamer Collects Six-Figure Salary
8:18 AM | Cord Kruse | 3 comments
For every gamer who has ever dreamed of being paid to play games Johnathan Wendel serves as an example. A recent AP story reveals the 24-year-old gamer's six figure salary earned in gaming competitions around the world.
If you deign to think of video games as simply a childish pastime, consider this professional game player. He collects a six-figure salary, has his own brand of gaming merchandise and travels the world to compete — regarded by those in the know as one of the most gifted players of his kind.To read the entire article click the link below.
Yahoo News: Pro Gamer Collects Six Figure Salary
"It's fun to play games for a living," says Wendel. "Getting up every day is very easy."
Recent Mac Games News
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Monday, November 21, 2005
Friday, November 18, 2005
Thursday, November 17, 2005
Search for other Mac games news stories or browse our Mac Games News Archive.